The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Super Cub Crunch

It was a good day at BMF! The winds were persnickety, calm one moment, blustery the next, from the east one moment, the south the next.

I flew the Stearman and and Cornell, and even got the new Super Cub to fly. The rightish thrust vector solved the loop and roll problem, but she proved a twitchy flyer. As I flew her I found she still had a left roll tendency and had to trim in full right to compensate. Once I did that she flew well. I took her up again later and she threw herself nose in from 3 ft. Changed the prop and fixed the gear, she was otherwise fine. Took her up again later and she was super twitchy. Dropped to lower rates and she was hard to control. Took her back to full rates and toodled around a bit more, and she was still twitchy in the wind, but flew fine. I tried lower rates again and she became uncontrollable in the wind. I switched back to high rate but it was too late and she slammed nose in... She's repairable, but its going to take awhile.


I enjoyed the company of Ray, Jerry, Ron, Joe and the newly wed Kenny, with whom I had a cigar to celebrate! The weather is going to deteriorate over the next few days, so I don't expect much flying. I will likely work on the Super Cub again!

No comments :

Post a Comment