The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Big Wheel for Little Boy

The small wheels on the Airfield T-28 Trojan created issues that I tried to overcome with a foam runway. They were teeny and the prop had only 1/4" clearance. The foam runway would work, but it takes time to deploy it and I would need more of it. I thought I would try putting the old Eflite Alpha 450 wheels on it. I purchased a Parkzone Trojan nose wheel, not because it was a Trojan, but because it's what the hobby shop had up in Meridian and I needed the wire. I cut the wire to shorten it and bent it to take the wheel. I drilled out the nose gear holder in the fuse and the steering horn to fit. Its a touch tall, but I sort of wanted a little nose up. The main gear are the original wire, but the tires are from the Alpha, and they barely fit. I won't be surprised if I lose one! Can't wait to see if this helps. I checked the CG and its fine, and I don't think I've added much weight overall.


Out with the old tiny wheels, in with the new big wheels!



With these bigger wheels I may be able to take off from the grass, especially now that the prop clears the ground quite well.



Lookin' good! A little nose up attitude.





Trying to take off from the foam runway lead to a stall which lead to a broken wing... It looks horrible. It broke clean across the wing and aileron as if someone took scissors to it.

Hopefully she will fly fine with her big wheels, and get off the ground without too much drama!

No comments :

Post a Comment