The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Sweet Tea 28!


Oh yeah, baby, this Trojan T-28 is one sweet machine! My Nitroplanes 800mm T-28 Trojan is one of my new favorites! And she proved I ain't got me no shanks! She is responsive, quick and agile. She glides well and is easily controllable, but she needs a soft touch and focus. In a brisk upper wind she was buffeted a touch but she held her turns. She likes her rudder. Very nice! I see they are back in stock but when I got mine she was $65, now she's $74. 



Her prop is 1/4" above the ground... it is deep in the shortest grass. I used a bunch of foam mats to make a runway that is 4 ft x 16 ft. I found it a bit narrow as the she pulled right (the Trojan's front gear pulls right when the rudder is centered, need to fix that). I think with a centered nose gear the width is doable for takeoff. It would be a bit challenging to land on as she comes in quick so there is little room for error. For takeoff the runway was short and unless there was a nice headwind she ran off and buffeted through the grass unable to takeoff. I got her off the runway when I caught a headwind, but each flight took 3-4 tries. Tomorrow I will pick up a couple more packs of mats to make it longer, and consider making it 6 feet wide, which I think would be perfect. I think she could takeoff in 24 feet, so I'll pick up two more packs at Harbor Freight ($10 for 4 squares). And we'll see if I can control her well enough to land her there as well. Landing her on the grass is rough on her. I may also put the tires I removed from the Alpha, which are bigger than the stock wheels, but they may add too much weight.

No comments :

Post a Comment