The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Monday, August 1, 2011

Okay, let's try this one more time...

So... yes, I once again stalled the Stearman, this time on landing. I immediately set about the repairs, and added some more weight to the nose. More weight.... I think I am approaching the scale gross weight!


Posterior right wing root is crushed in.



Left wing root is also fractured.



The right wing root securing screw tab is fractured.



The lower carbon fiber wing spar had a wood dowel in it from the previous repair. They are out of stock at Horizon Hobby, so I have to repair it again. I drilled out the dowel.



The new dowel section.



CA'd in place and sanded smooth



The right wing securing tab was cracked clean off just outside the screw. CA'd back in place.



The upper right wing fractured. Here with the cote removed.



A better view of the fractured spars, from front to back.



The upper right wing tip is fractured...



clean off...



and bent. You can also see the cracked N strut.



Repairs completed.



Stripped the cote and repaired the internal structures.



Added  $0.75 worth of nickels as weight using CA and set with epoxy. A stack of 3 on the top, and a stack of 6 on both sides of the motor. I later placed a large wire tie around each large side stack.  Now she is almost nose heavy. But she is heavy... (Edit: recall most of the weight is actually in the bottom of the cowl itself and this on the mount is extra).



One of the things I had to trim out in the last flight was a left roll. I put the battery in and balanced her and she rolled hard left. I set the battery up and slightly right and she is now pretty balanced. I used styrofoam to hold the battery along with Velcro.



Looking good, again...




Well.... let's see if I can remember to climb out under full rates and 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, then land her with power on and a really late flare! I am so done crashing her. I will be ordering another one so that once I get it right I have a clean model to set up.

No comments :

Post a Comment