The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Trusty Trojan

Simply fun! Lots and lots of fun!

I took my Airfield 800mm T28 Trojan out to BMF yesterday with her "new" wheels, and wow, what a blast. I figured a couple of things out.

She wants to roll left on takeoff. Now that I expect that ain't no thing.

She wants 11.1V 3S, not a 2S battery. She still struggled with takeoff using the 2S, and those batteries came back just drained. I created an adapter for the JST to EC3 connector and used Cubby's 3S 1000 mAh batteries and she took off like the great airplane she is. The batteries came back warm, but not hot. She flew very stable and with enough power to go vertical! I had a spell of voodoo where instead of looping she would start a loop then roll like a football. All of the sudden that went away. Since then she had flown marvelously, and boy is she fast! Last night I changed the ESC connectors to EC3.

The ESC wasn't getting quite enough ventilation so I cut a ventilation hole in the underside of the aft fuse to draw air through, and that cooled things down considerably.

The larger wheels and the slightly nose up attitude are working quite well. With the extra power she takes off at about half throttle and lifts off with a much shorter roll out.

Once up she cruises fast at half throttle!

She is now one of my favorites!

No comments :

Post a Comment