The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Sopwith Rocks! Stearman Rolls!

I took the newly built Tiny Sopwith up today, after some hemming and hawing trying to work up the courage.

She had power, but struggled with the terrain. She had trouble getting around, and would twist left, ground looping. I finally found some flatter ground and a good headwind and she took off easily! She is very touchy. I quickly found, however, that I had too much expo (35%) and too little rate. I clicked to high rates and regained some control, but marginally, and I ended up in bringing her down in a controlled crash. Her landing gear popped off, but that was it! Took her to the bench, reattached the gear, changed the rates and dropped the expo. Took off again sweet and she flew wonderfully in a light breeze. She is very easy to fly but can be unforgiving if my attention wanders. I landed her like I land the Stearman: gear touched in a flare, but her gear stuck and she went ass over tea kettle! Not wanting to push my luck I put her away for the day, but I am very happy with her!

I also took the Stearman up twice. On the first flight I had to trim in a lot of nose up; the mechanical nose down I had in seemed unnecessary. Once I had her tuned up, she flew marvelously! Brought her in for her carthwheel landing. Took out the mechanical nose down in the elevator, and took off again. Holy crap! She flew severely tail heavy! Got her under control and trimmed in a lot of nose down, and got her under control. Landed her once with another carthwheel, and took off again. This time I landed spot on! Back in love with her again! I did find that in one of the cartwheels I broke a wing securing tab again, but that's and easy fix! Can't wait for the 2 extra 3S 3000 mAh batteries I ordered to come in.

I will take tomorrow off and work on that tab, rebuild the Cornell with her "new" wing, and new fuse. She should fly like she did when I first flew her! I also want to build the PowerlineHobbies-Green RC Models Piper Cub!

No comments :

Post a Comment