The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Monday, March 30, 2020

Taking Batteries Down to Storage Voltage


Every so often I will have batteries I haven't flown and need to put them in storage voltage using the Storage protocol on my 208B charger.  You really don't want to leave charged batteries for more than a few days as this causes chemical changes that increase the internal resistance, which decreases their function. (It's important to check the internal resistance using your multi program charger from time to time. A battery is best around 10 micro ohms per cell, above 20 it's time to get rid of it). If I have the time I use a parallel setup to take up to six unused batteries down to storage, but it takes a lot of time. It's faster to discharge them by running them down to around 3.87V per cell off load. I attach them to the voltmeter (battery checker) while doing this.  On load they look lower, so I stop every so often and see what the voltmeter reads. On my 500 heli without the resistance of the blades it can take 10-15 minutes, where in flight I get 5-7 min depending in the mAh of the battery. I use a plane if I have one that fits the battery. If I can be outside I just practice hovering. If I am indoors I will take main and tail blades off for safety, or just secure a plane.



Blue canopy kinda day.

No comments :

Post a Comment