The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Stearman almost ready!

Repairs on my Stearman are nearly complete after her stall crash. I detailed the major repairs in a previous post. The cowl, cabane struts and N struts arrived from Horizon today. I had found I needed to replace only one of the N struts (the other is bent a little but fine otherwise), and used one I had to replace the other. I installed the cabane struts fairly simply, some minor annoyances from screws not quite lining up on one of the forward struts attachments to the fuse post repair.

I had to repair the lower carbon fiber wing support spar since it fractured and they are out of stock at Horizon. In re-installing the wings it gave me issues, overcome with some sandpaper and a light layer of strong cursing. In the end everything lined up nicely and fits straight. I did find I had to remove a couple of the fiberglass tubes through which the CF spar passed, one in the fuse and one in one of the upper wings as they were damaged. Tested her control surfaces and everything is sweet.




She looks great! I will install the cowl tomorrow and replace the nose weights, reset her CG which has surely changed with the repairs. I am so looking forward to having her ready to fly this by this Friday!

No comments :

Post a Comment