The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Buddy box with my Buddy!

Luke and I hit the field yesterday, squeezing in a couple of flights between the rain drops before the thunderstorm came in. Setting up my two Dx6i as master and slave was so incredibly easy. When I read the instructions in the manual, I couldn't believe that was it. I connected a Radio Shack 3.5 mm double male ended stereo cable into each transmitter (tx), made sure the identical model and settings were on each tx, and figured out which was master and which was slave. I remembered that the slave (student pilot) tx was the one you leave off (it turns itself on when you plug the cable in). The instructor holds the trainer switch on when the student is flying, and lets go when he neds to take control. It was incredibly easy! Luke and I had a blast and now have an active way for Luke to fly without having to wait for an instructor pilot from the club to be present. Awesome!


Two Spektrum Dx6i and a double male 3.5mm stereo cable for $8 from Radio Shack.



Close up of my cable. Radio Shack's website shows molded ones for $8 in a variety of different colors.



The stereo cable is connected to both radios in the back.



The left is OFF and is the student's (Slave), the one on the right is ON and is the Instructor's (Master). I noticed if I turn the Master off nothing changes on the radio (it stays on), but I don't know if it changes the Master status.



Note that the one on the left is OFF, the right is ON, and the identical model is on both. The DR/Expo, Subtrims, everything, need to be identical. The airplane will adjust itself to the flying radio's settings. 

That's all it takes! A cheap cord, two radios and volia!


No comments :

Post a Comment