The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Flying on the Fourth!

I got back from Boston last night, and after 10 days away, I was itching to fly! I took the suicidal Cubby up, and flew her for the rest of the day. She took off and flew perfectly, landed great. Mid-day her motor sputtered and inspection revealed that the Exceed RC Alpha motor's wires, which have been cracking and breaking were splitting further (you can see the black tape covering other breaks. The wire isn't coated with silicone, but is passed down a much larger silicone tube). Also one of the plug solders failed. Easily fixed.

Her batteries were coming up a couple minutes short all day, I think because so much thrust was being lost with a soft slow-fly prop and finally one of them brought me up short. Changing the prop for a new one solved that problem. And then she committed suicide... she took off and at about 10 feet blendered into the ground! This, after a day flying great... Fuse snapped in the front of the cockpit, completely. Easily fixed with some spars and glue, on the work list for tomorrow.

It was a small crowd at BMF. Steve was there and flew several planes. Most interestingly, he flew a new BlitzRCWorks MX2 like mine. Exactly like mine. But not exactly like mine... His flew sweet right out of the box! He flew it great, and it responded nicely.It was only the second and third flight he had flown. He flew it unmodified, stock, right out of the box. He didn't even balance the 3-blade prop! We stood there in awe, and tried to think what was different. The only thing was that he had left it in the car and the wings drooped a little from the heat, one side more than the other, but really, nothing was different. Hmmmm..... I should have my new motor for my MX2 in the mail tomorrow and hope to get my rebuilt MX2 in the air on Monday. This should be interesting. I flew several flights on the Alpha and the Stearman. I am getting much more comfortable flying the Stearman and its becoming a joy to fly!

Vinsen was there too with K'sean, his grandson. Vinsen flew a new Edge and flew it well. Man got skilz! Last week he lost the Hobbico Nextstar over the Northern Ents (heard Ron lost his profile Edge too). I flew some photo recon but couldn't run the vid at the field. When I got home I found it didn't record properly, so I will fly recon again tomorrow. Both planes are on the ground under thick cover, so it isn't likely that I will find them...

Lots of errands tomorrow, and I am getting a lot of parts in, so I'm not sure I will ge to fly tomorrow.

No comments :

Post a Comment