The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Friday, July 29, 2011

Crunched Cornell Rebuild Begins

Waaaay back when, on June 1, 2011, I crashed my beautiful Cornell. While looking for parts and a possible replacement plane I discovered that Eflite had just discontinued it...

She was a beautiful flyer, a good looking airplane. I had just gotten comfortable with her. I flew her, did some aerobatics, and while pulling through a loop I started a bit too low to begin with, I eased up on the elevator to open up the loop, and she slammed into the ground. Pure newbie badness.

Greg Reed took her to repair, but he just couldn't get to it. Today he returned it to me, now that I have some experience fixing planes. So, I started today!

Greg was having problems with his CA and epoxy holding, so the wing, which was broken clean off (you can't tell in the crash pic, but under the cote it was cracked clean off) remained separated. I took some time removing the glues and cutting the wood surfaces clean.


When I broke her, I broke her good. I noticed I am missing the hatch that goes on top... Wonder if Greg has it? This will be the most industrious rebuild to date. The wing is sheared off, and the firewall/motor mount is toothpicks. I have to see how much of the motor mount I can rebuild. I am considering using an Electrifly replacement motor mount.



I have fabricated a new leading edge and rejoined the wing. It looks pretty flush and level. 



I rebuilt the framework using salvaged wood and popsicle stick set with CA, fixed in place with epoxy. I didn't have a big enough piece of balsa for the leading edge, so I made one with scrap wood laid over a dowel, then sanded flush forming a ply. Worked quite well. Pretty much the entire right side of the frame is refabricated. Need to level out a few spots with scrap sanded to fit, otherwise looks pretty good and strong. The square is a thin piece of sheet balsa covering and strengthening the cracked and depressed sheet balsa of the wing root. Letting all of this congeal, will sand the excess epoxy and framework so things are flush, then recote the wing. I don't think its added much weight at all.

In the next several days I will tackle the motor mount and firewall which were shattered in the crash. I also plan to upgrade the servos, some of which are toasted.

2 comments :