The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Stalls kill planes... who knew?

Yeah, it was a fantastic day at BMF until I took the Stearman up. She took off fine, was climbing, caught a burble, over corrected, thought I got it back under control, but stalled her hard, and she blendered hard into the ground. All of this at a max altitude of 15 ft AGL... crap.


Hey, doesn't look so bad, eh?



Yeah, right... Its fixable. Will need to do some wood work, which will require some blue cote work as well. The fuse is intact, but the firewall has separated from the fuse and the motor mount has broken off the firewall. The landing gear block has fractured, but the gear don't appear to be bent. I think the prop shaft is bent, but believe I already have a replacement. The wing securing "strap" of one of the upper wings has separated, and the cabane supports are bent forward from the impact. The cowl is smushed. She will fly again, and I hope as fine as she was before the crash, but its going to take a while as I am going to go about it slowly...

Crap.

No comments :

Post a Comment