The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Pretty is for girls...

You gotta love EPO foamies. After a little foamie repair magic she's back! Yesterday Cubby 2 was in 5 large foam pieces after her suicide attempt. Today, after some epoxy on the plastic canopy, Beacon 3-in-1 Craft Glue, some toothpick spars along the major breaks, some packing tape and strategically placed Econo-cote, she is flight ready! I decided that I won't cote the whole fuse, but will just put a patch over the fractures as they are repaired. I will keep the wing coted however. I also threw another washer under the lower motor mounts to raise the thrust vector of the motor a little more. Now there are 3 nylon washersunder both lower attachements.

So far the lines remain clean. I did place a large piece of structural styrofoam in the electronics compartment to act as a fore-aft spar to help straighten out the sagging flex the fuse was developing from the serial repairs. This lined up the empennage better. I also epoxied a Velcro strap in the battery compartment. Between the Dual Lock Velcro and latch, if the battery escapes that and the addition of the Velcro strap, then it was meant to be.



The molded plastic cylinder heads were broken off. I decided not to try to epoxy them back in place on the right side.  This replacement Alpha 370 motor is remarkably durable! Since installing it I have had a number of crashes, each of which would have resulted in replacing a taco'd stock motor. Clean the dirt out of the spinner and this one is ready to go!



Pretty is for girls...

The selection of Cubbies in the less than 1.5 m wingspan range is limited for the ply/balsa-cote versions. I have decided I will eventually get the Eflite J3 Cub from Horizon Hobby, but want to wait before I undertake another big purchase and build.

Tomorrow I'll take Cubby out to BMF, bring her back in 5 pieces, and start all over again... it's what we do, my Cubby and I.

No comments :

Post a Comment