The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Phoenixcubby Day #3

The resurrection of Phoenixcubby continued today. I need to wait for the canopy before I can do anything else.  When I took the tape off of the wing yesterday, there was still a little dihedral, but this morning the wing was back to its original negative dihedral. I have re-taped it so maybe it will set in permanently this time.


The wing strut attachment point's got pulled in the crash. I have been missing one of the outer attachments since the Tree Incident, and in this crash lost one of the inner attachments.



I cut a piece of plastic from the old wing strut, embedded it in the wing and glued it in place. It will serve as a top to which I can glue the aft wing strut.



Nothing is ever easy... the motor mount did not match exactly, but was pretty close. I used nylon 6-32 3/8" screws I bought this morning at Home Depot. The brass nuts would not fit on the top (the yellow plastic firewall got in the way). I was able to attach the nuts on the bottom of the mount.



A posterior view. All of the screws screwed in nicely so they are not coming loose even without the nuts. I did use a little Locktite, though I don't know how that will work with the nylon...



Phoenixcubby! When the canopy comes I can put the wing on and then complete the landing gear's aft attachment (pics will come when I do. I came up with a fairly ingenious way to dynamically stabilize the aft attachment using a part of the old wing spar). Frankenheli in the background. Put her mini-MEMS gyro on and will be setting that up later this afternoon. May even finally spin her up!

No comments :

Post a Comment