The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Four Blade Bad Boy!

I needed to replace the feathering shaft on the EXI 450, but a dearth of 51mm 450 Pro feathering shafts in my parts bin lead me to go ahead and pull out the CopterX 450 4 blade rigid rotor head. I have been putting this off as I will need to put a microBeastX Flight Stabilization System on it to fly it beyond a garage hover. If I had bought the more expensive floating head, I could probably fly it without the BeastX, but I would like to have a stabilized heli anyway. I have the Dynam ERazor 450 and Frankenheli 450 Stretch, so I figured its about time to go ahead and set up the 4 blade!



The CopterX 450 4 blade rigid rotor head I purchased was supposed to come with the links, but I realized as I inspected it that, well, it didn't. I noticed as well that the lower Jesus bolt hole is in the wrong place... I am not aware of any 450 that has the bolt there. So Job #1 was to replace the main shaft, Job #2 was to build links for the servo to swash and swash to grips.



Shaft replaced. I have no idea where exactly the swash stabilizer bar goes, so I put it where it was on the orignal set up, about 6 mm below the rotor head. I would later move it down a bit to get a nice 90 with good ROM on the grips.



Its a beautiful head. Here in place with the linkages I made. Had no idea what the lengths are supposed to be, so I figured out 90 with good ROM again. The Grip links are about 45 on center. The servo to swash links are about 47 mm on center.  I leveled the swash at center stick, and set the swash stabilizer arm to 90 level, and the balls 90 forward off set their grip. I haven't set the swash mixes yet, so I suspect the linkages with change a little.



View from the front.



Sweet! 450 standard 325 mm fiberglass blades. Opposite blades are balanced with each other (1-3 and 2-4).  Only one blade required taping to add weight.














Awesome looking heli!  I will set the swash up and hover her in the garage, but I won't try to fly her until I get the microBeastX on her!

UPDATE: I ordered these blades. They are a few mm shorter and narrower than the standard blades (322x21.5 vs 325x32mm).

2 comments :