The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Phoenixcubby Day #2

Today I stopped by my LHS (Orange Grove Hobby Shop) and picked up a roll of Top Flite Econo-cote in Cubby Yellow, and a motor mount to continue my work on resurrecting the Cubby (Click here for Day #1). I decided I didn't want to make the Cubby half red, half yellow... I have not done such an extensive cote job, so it was interesting work. I wasted a lot of the cote when I screwed up the mirror image for the other side of the fuse, but figured it out in the end. The surfaces are pretty irregular, and my lack of skill made for an adequate but not great job. (You can click the pics to see a larger version).


Not a bad job, actually. You can't see the seams and the fit and finish are pretty tight now that I look at it. The color matches the original Cubby paint pretty well. I decided to cover the entire fuselage to provide structural strength, as Greg suggested when I busted her up. You can see the crack seams as I didn't work them out much. Not pictured, I also put some yellow over the middle of the wing where I had put red Ultracote when I originally repaired her after the tree debacle. Wanted more yellow, less red. When I took the tape off that was pulling the wing into a dihedral, it actually had a nice soft dihedral remaining. When I put the stays back on I hope it doesn't pull the wing back down...



The new Exceed Alpha motor doesn't fit the original stock Cubby engine mount. It was a motor-ring-in-a-firewall-ring device. The new motor came with the silver mounting bracket, but it extends beyond the plastic firewall, so it wasn't going to work by itself. I bought another motor mount, the black one, epoxied it into place and set it with screws. That puppy ain't ever coming loose... The motor will be mounted to the silver bracket, and after I find some short counter-sink screws and nuts I can mount the motor mounts together and find out if the cowl will fit over it all. 

Kinda stuck now waiting for the canopy to come from Nitroplanes, notoriously slow shipping. Once that is in, I can finsh the plane. I am working out a plan to stregthen the wheel flange attachement... more on that later.

No comments :

Post a Comment