The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Making stronger what is wimpy...

And I don't mean me, which could use some de-wimpyfying...

I have been doing the Radd's School of Rotary Flight Curriculum, and have been skittering around. It was a bit difficult because the wires on my training gear were too thin to bear the weight of my 450, so it was either thumping around or coming into hover. So today I went out to Home Depot, bought some dowel, and connected them to the wire rods using shrink wrap (yellow), and a piece of dense closed cell foam in the center to keep a bit of flex in it and to act as a shock absorber. It looks good and it works great! It supported the 450 so well it skittered like a June bug all over the garage, where before it would simply lean over threatening to kill itself with a blade strike if any aileron or elevator command went its way.


Wimpy wires, mighty dowels, brought together by yellow shrink wrap. 



One piece all the way across, the other divided.



Closed cell foam Gooped onto the center plastic connector and to the long dowel.



Flattened by the heli, it flexes well when lift is applied at all. Allows for a great skitter as required to complete Radd's.

No comments :

Post a Comment