The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Backwards Motor

Well, something new everyday...

I received the HeadsUpRC 3542-10 ginormous motor, and its mounting hardware this afternoon, and set about installing it in the Stearman. I was baffled because they sent me the "wrong" motor mount. The holes in the motor did not line up with the holes in the mount. I emailed HURC and sent them these pics:


At a glance you can see the holes don't match up...



Can't tell so much from this pic, but I was making my point here...



And to make sure they didn't send the "wrong" mount again, I sent them a pic of the motor tag for good measure.

Rather quickly I received a polite email response with this pic attached from Jeff at HURC:


Its the picture from their website. Its not apparent at first, but Jeff's kind guidance points out what should be painfully obvious once I though about it. So much so that I had actually had test fit the parts in the right place trying to figure it out feeling that it was just wrong and set the idea aside right away. You can see a tip of the shaft sticking up from behind the motor mount, right up there by the motor wires. Note the wires coming out the back. Jeff pointed out the prop shaft assembly goes on the "back" of the motor, and the shaft faces out the rear... Really? Wouldn't you know that once I "shifted my paradigm" I had the thing together in 45 seconds.




There's the shaft, going out the back through the motor mount. (Its just wrong... so wrong...)



And here's the prop shaft and spinner coming off the back of the motor.



Here's my assembled motor, with a clear view of the shaft coming out of the back. Sort of a Hermaphrodite motor...



Installed on the Stearman and wired up, simply beautiful. A very nice motor. Can't put the cowl back on until I know which way the motor spins when powered up as I may need to reverse a couple wires. I don't have the Spektrum AR500 receiver yet anyway.

Kinda nice how things fit together when you do it right, even if it just looks wrong...

No comments :

Post a Comment