The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Storage

A poster on Helifreak, JC Paint Workz was asking about how we store our stuff. Here are pics of how I organize my parts and equipment. My field boxes consist of my portable charging station and my PDY box. Makes it easy to go: grab these two boxes, toss in the appropriate LiPos, grab the a/c and go!


My PDY Systems Toolbox which I use as my field box. Next to it is a set of plastic drawers from Walmart on wheels for big junk.



I keep my spare parts in Plano tackle boxes that are labeled for each aircraft that has unique parts. I put only the ones I am taking to the field in the PDY. I can fit two plus my spare hardware box (the little one, has nuts, screws, etc. I throw all of these together for all my a/c in one tackle box. I have a larger one I use for connectors, wires, etc, but I don't take that to the field). I also have one set of blades for all my helis and props for all my planks in this top section. I don't carry extra booms, but if the exrra 365mm blades fit, I think the booms will too. The drawers are more or less organized by function, like electrical, tools, build materials (like Goop, Tri-Flow, wire ties, CA, etc).



The top toolbox is my portable charging station (see here).  Below that is a Craftsman non-portable toolbox I keep my batteries and electrical supplies in.  The bottom is a larger set of Rubbermaid drawers from Walmart, without the wheels to better distribute the weight to the floor.



Top shelf is for discharged batteries. Middle drawer for charged and stored batteries (I use the iCharger Storage function to discharge batteries to around 3.85V for storage if not used for more than a day or two). Bottom drawer is electrical supplies. You can see the Plano with my connectors and wires (I keep the wires and connectors from any device I trash).



The top drawer is where I keep the Plano's for a/c I am not taking to the field.



To the right of my work desk is a set of plastic drawers, also from Walmart, that I keep junk in. I have a few other odd bins on my desk and under my work bench. 


My Heli's go in an aluminum 450 case.



I can fit a 450 and a 250 in here, along with my Dx6i.

I like this setup. I don't have a lot of space but I make the most of it.

2 comments :

  1. sweet thanks for sharing!! Im thinking I'm the helifreak poster you were talking about lol, Your set up is awsome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you were! I updated my blog to reflect that with a link to your post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete