The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

E-flite PT-19 Build Day 1

As expected, this build is easy as much of the piece work has already been done. My experience with the Stearman, of which the build concepts are similar, has made it easier still. But it was not without its small setbacks.


The connectors for the servos use a plastic disk press fit to the post, rather than the nut used on the E-flite Stearman. I prefer the nuts... hmm... salted cashews...



It was awkward to press the disk on firm enough to press it with pliers. I finally got it balanced after a dozen tries...



Pressing carefully only got it down to the post.



But ball link pliers were a perfect tool to seat it all the way down snug. 



Finished. Once I am done with the build I will touch it with a spot of CA.



Epoxying the servo blocks in place. I find the cut out bottom of a 1 oz Dixie cup works great for mixing epoxy.



Using dental floss to hold the extension snug to the servo lead. Pass it through the gaps in the wires on either end, tie a square know or two and clip the bitter ends.



Aileron servos ready for installation.



Pulling the servo wires through the wing using the string they had passed and secured at each end. I tied it to the lead and centered it using their piece of tape, then easily worked it through the wing frame.



Setback. The block, well, blocks the cover from being secured into place. I noticed these blocks were cut a bit longer than those on the Stearman.



Used my Dremel to sand the corners that were blocked down to fit.



Clean curves on the blocks preserves a good amount of block for the servo screws.



Nice fit!



Different setback. On the other side it was the servo itself that blocked fit. I used the Dremel to sand down the edge of the screw mount on the wing. See the lower left one; slightly different in shape after sanding, just enough to allow the servo to fit.



Servo installed, cover secured with sheet screws touched with a spot of CA, proximal lead secured to prevent it falling back into the wing, using the string and piece of tape they provided to secure the string. 



Show-stopper setback. The bridge that will fit between the wings securing them internally and eternally together was warped. I barely pressed on it while thinking about what to do when it snapped, almost clean across. I suspect it got stressed in bending out of shape and the slight force I applied was all it took to snap it. CA didn't hold it, but a little Goop has done the job. I will let this set and tomorrow will sand it down. It will be covered with 30 min epoxy to secure the wings together, so I have no concern it can secure the wings without failing.

This was it for the night. I have some family commitments tomorrow, but suspect most of the build will be completed. I need to put a receiver and ESC in her to complete the build, and have neither due to shipping delays and the bad receiver (see below).  

By the way, the fit and finish of this aircraft is better than any of the E-flight birds I have owned, the bent spar aside. The Ultracote is tight and smooth! This is one beautiful aircraft!

No comments :

Post a Comment