The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Today's Carnage

It was just too nice a day, brisk gusts be damned. I found a new flying field. Just off Popp's Ferry behind the Pentacostal Church there is a big field, lined in the back by a small trailer park. Huge, with a small road no one drives on running through it. Perfect. And the road was heading right into the wind.

I took the Cubby up nervously. It flew great, but the upwind wing would lift with the cross wind legs, and it would scream down wind. I actually nearly hovered it into the wind, pulling back the throttle! On one of my landings, my last actually... it landed, then tipped forward with the prop hitting the ground, breaking the prop and flipping the plane. Broke the forward part of the wing. this thing reacts quickly. It was well balanced today.


This is a preflight pic of the CG centering check.
I made these stands, works great.


I decided, what the hell, I'm going to fly the ERazor. It hovered nicely for several seconds, but I just couldn't control it. I have a feeling I need a lot less expo than I have (I dialed it down to 25% and it was still too much). It was always a little behind my commands and then would suddenly over react. The Futaba GY 401 gyro held like a rock! Now that's a good gyro. But, alas, it too went to ground and blades went flying. Broke the tail fin, ripped the feathering shaft apart, bent up the flybar. Not sure what else just yet. It was cool, just like on the Phoenix sim, blades flying through the air! Needless to say, the 250 stayed in the car. it wanted no part of this.



I am really enjoying the plane. It flies. I must be patient with the helis. I am getting longer and more stable time, albeit small, each time.

No comments :

Post a Comment