The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Stearman Build Day #1

This afternoon after getting home from work, I decided to start the E-flite PT-17 Stearman build. It has been a very easy and smooth build. This is a very nice kit!


Initial step, installing the Futaba MN48 Mini servos for rudder and elevator.



Sweet!



Installing the elevator hinges. The horizontal stabilizer with a center portion of the Ultracote peeled off as per the instructions.
I remain baffled as to why this was required.



Using a fine tip applying CA to the hinges. I did so to both sides.



Horizontal stab and elevator installed, preparing the rudder. 
My AMA license number as per regs.



Installed the linkages after connecting the receiver and ESC to center the servos.



ESC velcroed with Dupont Double Strength "Velcro" under the motor mount.



Tail wheel installed, linkages before shortening. These were quite long and I had to cut them. When I was trying to screw the rudder clevis into place before I decided to cut the rod, I accidentally popped a hole in the Ultracote. I came up with a rather nice fix, as seen below.



Using a cutting blade, covering the fuse, cutting the linkage to fit with a Dremel cutting blade. I decided to do them in situ as it was easy.



After cutting. Note the angle of the rudder control rod as per the instructions.



Using a Dremel grinding stone to smooth the jagged edges.



Lining up the rudder linkage with the rudder hinge. The white tape is to cover a hole I poked in the Ultracote... I later re-did this tape and it looks much cleaner.



Preparing to drill and install the rudder control horn.
I found locking the tail with a black metal clip very useful.



Rudder and elevator control horns and clevi installed. See the cleaner white tape repair.



Attached the cabanes and the middle upper wing section. This was a little harder to do as the pan head screws are US standard units and not metric. I don't have any US standard ball drivers or Allen's so I had to screw them in by hand and then tighten them with needle nose pliers.

I decided to stop here tonight, after about 6-7 hours of work. Went by fast! In the next day or so I should finish most of the build. Installing the wings and ailerons, their servos, and the cowl. I was waiting for an Exceed MonsterPower 15 or the Hobby King G15 motors to come back in stock, but they just weren't coming in over the past month. So I ordered a very nice motor from HeadsUpRC.com and it should be here early next week (today is Saturday). I used the counterfeit AR6100 from my SimStick to drive the servos; I need to order a AR500 from Horizon Hobby. Installing the motor, the receiver and the pilot figure, and that will just about do it! Then its getting up the nerve to fly it!

No comments :

Post a Comment