The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Eflite Alpha Sport 450 High Wing Trainer

I did some research looking for a good high wing trainer, since the Cubby really isn't a trainer. I decided on the beautiful and well respected E-flite Alpha Sport 450, here seen after completing the build It wouldn't fit over the shelf!  I purchased it from Horizon Hobby.  I love this plane and can't wait to fly it. Its a balsa/ply Ultracote aircraft, not a foamie, so I am a little nervous about the prospect of crashing it...

I was surprised at what I suspect is a less than optimal quality of the application of the Ultracote. In comparison with the E-flite PT17 Stearman kit (also from Horizon) I am about to embark on, this was very wrinkled. The Stearman is flawless. I am going to have to learn how to smooth it out...

I put the Alpha together in one evening. A very easy build being a plug-n-play (PNP). I added a Spektrum AR 6100e receiver, but everything else was stock. The E-flite servos were all centered, and I only had to adjust the linkages at the servo arms. Programmed easily into the Dx6i, even set up dual rates. Expo at 30%. I noted that the servos give a good and complete range of motion, except the rudder. The servo is centered, and moves through its full range, but it moves the rudder fully right, only partially left... Its not binding. I don't know if that's the way its supposed to be. As I said, the servo and linkages are moving fine... Not sure what's up with that.

So, here are the pics of the wrinkles, and the fully assembled, still beautiful aircraft!


Under the landing gear on the fuse



Underside of the elevator



Starboard side



Inboard right wing



Outboard right wing



Inboard left wing



Mid left wing



Outboard left wing



Underside right aileron. Similar wrinkles on the topside of both ailerons (no pics).



Underside mid right aileron



Inboard underside left aileron



Underside outboard left aileron




Continues all the way outboard left aileron



Left wing fillet. The right is fine.






Sweet! E-flite Alpha Sport 450!

No comments :

Post a Comment