The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Dynam ESC Meltdown on Frakenheli

Today's obstacle was the Dynam ESC. I got the links on and leveled the swash. Following the limited manual, I "programmed" the non-programmable ESC (essentially just turning the Brake off), and decided to test the electric system. I plugged the motor in, turned on the transmitter then throttle hold (TH) and connected the battery. Good so far, ESC responded with the appropriate beeps, gyro intialized. Tested the swash, moved nicely, though the elevator servo lags a little behind the others the swash has full motion and the swash is balanced at full positive and full negative pitch (I think that slow servo is going to be a problem, might switch it out with another one.  That's what you get with $3 servos! I like the metal gear digital EXI servos. May have to order some...  Franky is getting expensive, a few dollars at a time). I made sure the throttle was closed, and turned off TH, and the damn thing spun pretty damn fast for about 3 seconds, stuttered, then stopped. Oh, and it ran backwards...Well., yeah, that wasn't supposed to happen. Is this why people planted their ERazors on the ceiling first time they plugged them in? I reversed two of the motor wires (they were following their designated color-code, which apparently is incorrect).  It worked after that, but intermittently things were a little wacky, like once the swash wouldn't respond, on another start the motor wouldn't run, and every now and then it would stutter start like the first time (nothing is supposed to happen). And I found that the ESC got pretty darn hot, making the soft plastic baseplate even softer; that can happen, but shouldn't be so hot. That was enough for me... I unlashed it from the frame so it can stay cooler and will use it just to set up the CCPM, but its coming off my heli. I ordered a HobbyWing Platinum 40A ESC with 3A/5V BEC, like I have on the ERazor, from HeliDirect. Its inexpensive and I can use my programming card with it.

Setting up the tail and gyro went quite easily. I am thinking about doing Finless Bob White's tail mod, which I did on the EXI, but since everything is set up, I suspect I won't now.

No comments :

Post a Comment