The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Moved My Workbench!

This is where my bench was and what things looked like yesterday morning.

It was getting crowded. If a heli or airplane didn't fit on my bench it was difficult to work on. I didn't even consider trying to work on my airplane in that space! There was no room for growth either. Where am I going to put my Eflite Stearman PT-17?

So yesterday I decided to move it to the other side of the room...  Off to Lowe's!

And this is what it looks like this afternoon! I moved it to the other side of the room where there is room to expand. I added a small pub table from Target ($80) to work on larger aircraft (though lighting there remains a problem...) and added more hangar space under a longer and sturdier shelf! There is a lot more space.

It took a lot of time to patch the wall where my hangar used to be, then move those hangars (and one additional one) under the newly installed shelf. I had to fill ginormous holes where the screw holders were, refinish the wall then prime it, and roller paint it...

I especially like the 22" x 40" Pub table as it is 36" tall. This allows me to stand at the table. I also have a counter height chair I can pull up (under the clock) if I want to sit.

Its great as this is all in the Man Cave with the 50" plasma I have connected to cable, and the computer I run Phoenix on, that is, when I can get the kids off the XBox 360 and Dead Space 2...


And I left room for my Stearman!









This is what my old corner looks like now, with the kids computer moved from what is now my corner over to the other side.  We put Fenway back up and Luke's collection of helmets on the floor, and the Perseverance poster with Ray Borque is back where it was before it was replaced by my J3 Cub.

Love it!

PS (2/10/11): I solved the lighting problem by bolting a power strip to the side of the table and running a grounded extension under a cover to the outlet. A clamp on task lamp (Architect's, $20 at Office Depot) 75W equivalent CFL bulb lights things up nicely!




Close up of the Hangar

Close up of how I hang the helis on the "Hangar". I use some purple nylon cord from Home Depot and these wall hooks from Lowes. I tie a loop in the cord and run it under the front of the landing skid, and criss-cross them. Looks good, very stable, no stress on the heli. The hooks are just are enough apart to fit the transmitter handle, and are rubber coated. 



No comments :

Post a Comment