The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Sukhoi Flies Stabilized and Waco Aileron Rods Installed

This morning I took the now HK Orange 3D Stabilization equipped 10cc Sukhoi out for its first flight with the system on board. I wasn't sure how she would fly with the stabilization on board.

She flew just fine! I turned the pitch and roll gains down a little and will fly her again later to see if it needs further adjustment. The higher gain caused a little stiffness in roll initiation and some pitching up in final approach. At some point the damn tail wheel tiller failed again. So when I got home I figured out a way to take a short nose gear tiller arm, put a wire on it with a Z-bend secured with wire ties and shrink wrap along with a touch of CA. I think this is it, I think this solves the problem for good.

.


I also finished the aileron connectors I made for the Waco. The horn failed on the right lower aileron due to the bad geometry creating intense leveraging stresses that pried it loose. The ones I had were the wrong length for the new connector horns I had installed on the lower ailerons to change the geometry to something more linear. The movement is still not entirely balanced, and I am not sure why; I suspect its because the upper horns are still curved so there is still some curvilinear geometry.



Tomorrow I am looking forward to flying her in what I hope is her final engineering, so I can get on to just enjoying flying her.




No comments :

Post a Comment