The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Friday, July 16, 2021

Waking up the Waco


I learned last year that the Phoenix Waco wing connection to the fuselage was poorly designed. I ran it into some weeds and it tore the wings off. Weeds. The damage was massive, so disheartening I let it just sit on the floor broken for the entire fall, winter and spring. Today I decided to take up the challenge. This plane is a sweet flier and one of my favorites. It deserves a rebirth.



She spent three seasons sitting here.



And so, the work begins. The following assess the damage.







Epoxy everywhere. The hard point (the bolt) was torn out on both sides. This was the only hard connection point, a screw pressing down on a flange from the wing.



The patient had to be secured to the table to allow access to the less damaged starboard side. I needed it fixed first to help align the cardboard tubes used to guide the aluminum wing spar. I think I want to replace the two small cardboard tubes with a full span carbon fiber tube. I think I have one that can act as a supporting guide for the aluminum tube.



I like to overbuild the repair. The hard point is now epoxied in much stronger than the original which was secured with hot glue. Runners are stinger and doubled (popsicle wood). Letting things dry.  More to follow!

 

No comments :

Post a Comment