The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Spektrum iX12 Start Up Issue

 

My Spektrum iX12 has been more or less stress free and operating well, even through updates that raised issues for so many other users. Well, I had left my radio "off" for several weeks, and when I went to turn it on, it would not boot. Plugged it in, booted fine, and checked the battery, it was red line low. I charged it overnight, and it took its charge fine, as expected. But my iX12 has a new trick. It will no longer boot Android if it has been turned off. I have to unplug the battery, plug it back in, and then it will boot. Curiously, it will also boot every time if plugged in. I tried the original battery, same issues, so its not the battery. No one seems to know why this happened. It started before the last update. I thought maybe its an Android OS issue, but there is no way that I can see to repair or update the Android system, and to my knowledge it has never been updated. It is set to automatically update. I am using the latest Airware.

I didn't want to damage the battery plug in the radio, so I installed a switch I happen to have. It fits nicely in the battery bay, and isn't tall enough to block the cover. It works perfectly.



A simple Radio Shack On-Off switch. I had a couple of these sitting around unused.  Soldered it in-line, then covered it in shrink wrap.



Here it is in situ. The wires on the MaxxPack are long, allowing this. Took 5 minutes.

Here's hoping this problem gets solved, or I figure out a new way. I may buy another MaxxPack just to see if it somehow turns out to be a battery thing after all.

I would rather have a Spektrum NX10 radio.

No comments :

Post a Comment