The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Sunday, August 30, 2020

Brain said "ABORT!", thumbs said, "WE GOT THIS!"

And that folks, is why we should not fly with our thumbs, but rather with our brains. This happened a couple of days ago, and I didn't want to revisit it...

Big 18x10 prop on an 26cc, its got some kinda torque roll. She had a bit of torque roll with the 17x8 I had on her, so no surprise this would be worse. Started the take off roll and she needed left rudder, then a little left aileron, then she needed more, than started to fly and rolled left, backed off power, Brain said, "ABORT!", but the Thumbs said, "WE GOT THIS! POWER!", she lifted more and rolled more, off the runway at 1 foot AGL and her right wing struck the high weeds, she tumbled in on to her nose.  I was stunned and mad at myself! So pissed I forgot to take a photo of the crime scene, so the first pic is after pulling her out of the weeds and setting her on the runway.



The wings are okay, but the fuse where the lower wings attached has been twisted out and broken up.



Both front wing cabanes are yanked out, an both sets are twisted. The energy went there instead of into the wing. The rest of the fuse is fine. The damage is limited to the lower wing-fuse. But its pretty bad at first glance.





This is the part that worries me. The damage is bad on the starboard side, the balsa sheet is torn up to the switch. This is shaped. My skill set doesn't go there...



Port side not so bad.




I pulled the wing tube parts out of the wreckage, which is scary, so I haven't  examined the insi



But before that fun, I plugged in a battery on the Cornell, and the reciever flashed, and would not come on again. Then I realized the battery lead had parted, and that was the end of that. Stiff as a rod where the heat and solder had soaked into the wire, I guess.  Snapped like a twig. 



Had to pull the ESC harness, only to realize I had the wrong sex EC5 connector installed, pictured here. I had to cut those and put the correct one on. Done. Its always something. I think I was still mad about the Waco. 

Wasn't at the field for more than 45 min... Still haven't looked at the Waco, worried I have done small but complex damage. No doubt I will have to pull all the electronics and tail servos to get to the broken bits, and that curved balsa section is going to provide me with an opportunity to learn a skill I would rathe not have to learn.

Damn thumbs...

No comments :

Post a Comment