The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, September 10, 2020

That Wireless Trainer thingy really works!


Just as I was having second thoughts about selling my DX8 (nice back up radio), Jon Kimball asked about it and bought it. He lives in Londonderry, so it was a local sale. His FIL is getting him into the hobby, gave him a couple of planes, so this was a perfect first radio. 

Since we were hooking up to deliver it and he lives down the street from the SNHRCC field, we met there. He brought his FIL, Steven Hooski. Since Jon is a newbie, and I have  great trainer, AND I wanted to see if I could do Trainer mode on the iX12, AND because I wanted to fly, AND because I knew he would benefit and love doing it, I brought the Alpha Sport 450 and 11 packs out to the field. The last 4 were sketchy for a couple of reasons... more on that in a second.

We spent some time going over airplanes and flight controls, the radio, receivers, etc. And then set up to fly. A few adjustments, this was pretty easy to program. I thought that the wireless Trainer mode took all the settings from the Master, the iX12, but I had to make a couple of sub trim adjustments on the DX8. This took no time at. all.

On the first couple of packs I took off and let Jon get the feel for the controls, and he was quick to adapt. He was a natural, showed good insight, understanding, so we discussed take off and on the 3rd pack he took off. I landed and he did it again, getting several cycles in. So I offered to land if he set up the approach. He was doing so well that on final I offered a little advice and suggested he continue to land. He aced it. Suggested he turn around on the runway and take off, fly the pattern and do it again. We had him fly the last 3 packs all by himself with my finger on the Trainer button. We chatted, but no advice required nor given, he did it all himself! He seemed pretty excited and really enjoyed it!

I flew one pack when I gave him a break, taking the Hacker MX2 up. After he was done flying, I planned to fly the Eflite Stearman on a few of the 4 Horsemen packs. I had stored these at 4v by accident for over a year, recharging was too fast, I figured they would be weak. I was in a rush to meet Jon, so I just packed them up. At the field I found them under-powered,but one was close. I stupidly took the Stearman up, and she flew weakly, landed a bit roughly (just a bounce), but I decided having gotten away with it I wouldn't fly the other packs. When I got home I ran them down to 3.7 V and will see if they recover.

Jon is supposed to send me a pic since I didn't take any, but he's failing me. He has his AMA and he and Steven joined SNHRCC! It will be wonderful to see them fly!

UPDATE: Jon came through! Pic at the top.

 

No comments :

Post a Comment