The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Friday, September 25, 2020

Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 10cc ARF Build Begins

 


Sold my Dx8 Gen 1 and used the proceeds towards finally buying the Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 10cc from my LHS, ABC Hobbies in Windham. I wanted an Ultra Stick for years, but they went discontinued. I ended up with an Ugky Stick, and I loved it! I planted it after many years of great flying, and in the interim, the new and improved Ultra Stick came out. For its simplicity its a bit pricey, but its worth it! Since the 60" wing comes in one piece, the box is over 60"long. I had to use panoramic view to get it all in!



Ginormous wing. Top side.



Underside.



For a few minutes I thought about using the stock CA hinges, but they always come loose. I wasn't sure I was in the mood for installing Du-Bro Nylon hinges, but I prefer them.



So, that's what I did.



One of the things I don't love about them is that they take so many steps, others are keeping epoxy out of the hinge, and if one of them goes slightly off angle the surface moves stiffly. I line them up dry fitting both side and mark the centers, use my Du-Bro hinge cutting tools to make the wider space required for the nylon hinges, great the hinge lightly to keep epoxy out, then using 30 min epoxy set them kne surface at a time.



Everything looske lined up! Only one hing went slightly askew, on the right flap. It works fine, however. The only reason that happened is the epoxy was curing faster than expected...



The Ugly Stick had a nice Tru-Turn bullet spinner on it, but this airframe is more slick and sporty, so I went with a 2.25 inch aluminum cone spinner from Amazon. I am using the well running Evolution 10cc gas engine. I tried to find a Pitt style muffler from Evolution as it would be affordable, but there are none left for the 10cc. Horizon Hobby, for some reason, discontinued the Evolution gas engines. I don't think they even make nitros anymore.  I would very much prefer one... but it won't be cheap.



I like that the servo trays are already built. There is no skill to it, its just busy work, so having it already done is fine by me.



The ailerons and flaps are on a Y. You have to be careful with these setups, as was seen on the Spitfire, to get the servos facing the correct way to allow oposite aileron movement, and identical flap movement.



Wing is done!



Close up of the aileron and flap Ys.

I did this over a couple of days. I am looking forward to getting to the fuse next!

No comments :

Post a Comment