The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Monday, August 26, 2019

How stupid am I?

Pretty damn stupid.



As a result of my deadstick landing kerfuffle, the engine compartment was full of dirt. I started the repairs today and cleaned out the compartment, and removed the engine to clean the carb, as the engine being covered in dirt, surely there is dirt in the carb. Unmounted, took the engine apart, setting aside the carb, the pulse/insulating compartment (that black thing with the hose in the pick), the reed valves and the engine block. Mental note of the orientation of the carb on the block, check. cleaned the carb, a little dirt, the engine block was fine, the reeds needed some cleaning. All is well. Reassemble.



Well, that's weird. I didn't notice that the insulating block had such gaps... and so I made a gasket, and screwed it all back together, but the carb bolts were too long, and the ends were in the engine block, stopping the crankshaft from running. Jeez... Well, let's cut those long ass bolts and reassemble it.



Why the hell do the bolts go so far into the engine block. Who designed this??

So I reassemble it, insulating block, reed valve (wait, what?), carb, but now the frickin' screws are too short. And I didn't even cut them the same size... 

Oh, for the love of all that's holy... I am so frickin' stupid. And that's putting it lightly. 



This was a cluster the moment I first put it back together. See, I left out the reed block the first time I put it back together... so of course the screws were too long. My first stupid was forgetting to install the reed block the first time. My second stupid not stopping to recognize the engine ran just fine without me cutting the bolts. My third stupid was cutting the bolts.  That was the unrecoverable stupid because I don't have replacement M5 - 60mm bolts. Now I have to wait for my order to arrive from RTL Fasteners.

So, that's how stupid I am. Well, I wanted to take a break from this plane anyway...

No comments :

Post a Comment