The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, August 22, 2019

Baby learned a new trick...

I had a half day, and a bit later than I planned (lazy) I got out this morning with the MX-Bach. She started with the electric starter, and ran pretty well, though she had this stutter thing that I was pretty sure was just a little 4-cycling in a 2-stroke. But some of the pauses are pretty long and not a quick sputter.


I catch some of the 4-cycling behavior here, none of the solid pauses.

As she idled she initially seemed happy pre-flight, and out of the blue just stopped. Restarted, and she again ran fine throughout her range, ran her up and down a few times, every thing was fine. So I took her up, and she flew so incredibly fine, smooth like buttah, some light aerobatics, and running through her throttle range. Let her idle high up several times, sweet, no issues. Plenty of power. Ran her down the line at altitude WOT and suddenly nothing. It just quit. No slowing, stuttering, racing, just quit. So suddenly I would later wonder, "Did I hit the kill switch?" I trained myself so that when the engine does die after moment to ensure proper control (aviate-navigate-communicate) I instinctively hit the kill, so I don't know just when I actually did.



Sweet deadstick approach, landing a bit hot, touched down nicely but then bounced and...



Pleased with the approach and initial touchdown, but annoyed I let her bounce and ripped the gear out again. Lots of work to do. For now I am going to assume that this was a one off, and get the gear fixed, restart the engine after replacing the prop. Should I swap out the RCGF Ignition for new one I have on hand, or is this the Hall Sensor? Maybe I swap out the sensor first, least effort... If she just wasn't such a stable sweet and smooth flyer.

I noticed that only the right elevator moved when I set in some trim with the flaperons to give her a bit of nose down. Not sure why the left one didn't follow. Need to sort that out. Is it a mix? This wasn't a problem before...

Resetting the crash clock.

No comments :

Post a Comment