The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Who puts a giant torpedo muffler on a gas engine?


The only issue I have with this otherwise remarkable Evolution 10cc gas engine is, who puts a torpedo muffler on a gas engine? Why don't they at least sell an optional normal side mounted Pitts?

I installed the engine on the Sbach last night, and learned that its historically wide fuse leaves the side mounted torpedo muffler INSIDE the cowl. The exit lays right on the front bulkhead.



Nice installation. Enough room to install an electric starter and air conditioning....



What's this? Dad-gum-it... It's always something.



The other issue is most mufflers are about 32-34mm on center even for up to 50cc engines, this one is a fricking 36mm spread.

Look at that thing. It's about 15-20 cm long and sticks out about 8 -10 cm!  So I have a few options. It would need a 40mm extension to clear the fuse. Nope, can't find one, most are 10-20mm*.  DuBro has a 6 inch extension that would fit and can be cut to size, but no drilled holes and I can't drill that, so no go. I could install it, cutting the bulkhead and creating an exit for the rubber muffler extension. That could work, but if it doesn't I have messed up the fuse, and it looks like the muffler would push the cowl out a little. I could change to an OS muffler, if I can find a shorter one. Hmm... kinda hit and miss, if it doesn't fit I own a muffler shaped brick. The webs show a 46-55 size muffler will fit the cylinder, but it will still need something to exit the cowl, like a rubber extension, but no bulkhead modification, though I am not sure its short enough to stay forward of the bulkhead. I could install a Pitts standard or wraparound. The NGH 9cc engine Pitts would fit, but the only place to get one is Hobby King Hong Kong, so a $18 marvelously priced perfect fit and solution will cost me $35 to ship and take 4 weeks.  $53 is steep, yet i's the going price, but there's the principle of paying twice the cost of the part to ship it. Buttercup may need to just suck that up. Other Pitts are set up for a 90 degree mounted engine, and wraparounds that might fit are $180. 

There is one other option. I could move the troublesome RCGF 10cc off the Stik (the good one is staying in the Sukhoi) to the Sbach, and the Evolution 10cc to the Stik, which has no cowl so easy-peasy. Yeah... Kinda really want this Evo 10 in the Sbach.

Who puts a torpedo muffler on a gas engine? Who does that?

* A thought occurred to me... what if I stack two of these shorter extensions?

UPDATE  I decided to try two extensions and M3 x 80mm screws. I found a very good price on the extensions, on eBay essentially 2 for the price of one, $10 shipped to arrive in 2 days, and Amazon Prime a pack of long M3 assorted from 60 - 80 mm 50 piece set for $11. Wide range of prices for the bolts, lucky to see this set. Now I have to wait. 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment