The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Saturday, June 15, 2019

Sbach 10cc Build Day 2

I finished the wings, will post a pic tomorrow, just forgot to take pics. I decided not to go with all of the stock stickers as I really don't like them and I am certainly not going for scale! Have a couple stickers coming in the mail and when they are on will post pics.


The damaged corner came out okay. The cote they use is heavier duty so it takes more heat to shrink it back, and if I am not careful the lighter Monocote wrinkles. A couple of layers of Monokate helps.




The patch on the dented leading edge using lightweight spackle.



Like new. 



The kit comes with a bunch of epoxy servo extensions with were about 0.5 cm longer than the special blue aluminum ones I had, so I used my blue ones on the ailerons. On the two elevator servos (its dual servo on the elevators), I remembered I had these long red aluminum ones I ended up not using on another project. I chose the middle attahment, but think I will move it to the closest one, still a bit longer than the stock epoxy extension. The range of motion is incredible so the resolution will be a bit low and she would be quite twitch as small control moves would lead to big elevator pitch changes. I want range, but better resolution, so I will go with the closer attachemenst.  I think they expected micro servos on the elevators, standards on the wings. I had to cut the openings a bit larger, but there is a lot of room forward of the stock opening and this was no thang.



The epoxy rudder control horn was pretty much the same size as this Tactic stock long bar, so I uses it. Good range of motion with it, a bit unbalanced at the servo (more left than right) which I can adjust in programming travel on the DX8.

I had some frustrating CA runs putting the CA hinges in, even though I had dammed up the sites to prevent it. That super thin CA just goes everywhere. I decided I didn't want to futz with Du-Bro plastic hinges and just use the CA one. The lower half of the rudder was the only part that didn't stay where I put it so there is a small gap there. I will use hinge tape, its a small gap.

This frame is built for electric... its not very robust, though they sell it as electric/glow. There is no place for the fuel tank. I am going to have to build it up, and it will likely be a bit further from the engine than I like. I may be able to get it forward, but there will be a lot of weight foreward of the CG.

No comments :

Post a Comment