The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, April 4, 2019

Sptifre Redux Progress

Making headway these past few days, slow, small steps. I have finished one wing, the left one I think, and today working the right. I work on them upside down, so kinda forget which one is which. I have the right wing landing gear already done and now need to install the aileron and flap.


I set about installing the left wing aileron servo when I notice something is amiss. These control surfaces will be controlled using a Y harness into the reciver: all of them, landing gear, ailerons and flaps. Ergo they are not independently programmable in the transmitter.  The flap servos need to be aligned the same so that they do the same thing in the same direction.  If you look carefully, the servo exits the servo hardpoint on the left on both flap servos as you look at the wing from underneath. Both do. So when one moves forward, the other does as well. This is so when activating the flap switch they deploy or retract together. The aileron servos, however, need to move opposite. When the right goes up, the left goes down, and vice versa. This allows roll. This means that the servo openings need to be opposite, one outside and one inside. Well, keeping the servo opening away from the trailing edga allowing for a longer control arm, the "right wing" one already installed exits outside, so the "left wing" one needs tto exit likewise on the outside.  The servo hardpoints have a pre-cut opening for the servo horn. They are both on the right (upside down) side. 



I backplated the original opening. I would need to trim the patch to allow the servo to seat properly.



I cut a patch and filled in the holes with balsa chips and CA. I later peeled off all the cote and sanded it flat.



Here with the cote peeled, you can see the original patch and the new opening.



Sanded, coted and installed.



Installed the flaps with a little of the usual drama getting the hinges and fit right, but all in all easy.



The wing is meant to be detachable into two parts. I don't find this useful, but it would make getting the servo wires replaced easier, so I just used packing tape to keep them together more snugly. They attach to the fuse with the usual nylon screws and wood posts. In the first build I think I inadvertenly glued them together.


In the end it came out fine! Even the landing gear are symetrical. I managed to get the depth of the wonkified hardpoint of the right wing correct, so no imbalance. Today I may work on the fuse, gettting the horizontal stab, vertical stab/rudder installed, and the remaining servos. I am stopping by ABCHobbies, my LHS, and plan to pick up a 7 or 8 Channel Spektrum reciever, depending on what they have, possibly a switch (I am going single manual swtich for all power with an electronic ignition control switch on the transmitter).  A few errands and we'll see what I am feeling up to.

Left to purchase are the reciever, ultra-BEC/ignitiion switch, manual power switch, fuel dot and vent, RCGF 10cc engine, gyro, reciever/ignition pack. Speaking of which, a You-Tuber commented negtively on my idea of using a LiPO pack installed hard into the fuse, fire risk. This batttery is a low output, low charge use, not more than 1C. Its not a power battery drawing high amps at high C. Its as safe as a power tool with a rechargeable LiPO pack.

More to follow!

No comments :

Post a Comment