The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Saturday, April 6, 2019

Tail's on


That took a couple of minutes... but in another brain dead moment I epoxied the vertical before installing the horizontal, but quickly recognized my mistake, removed the vert, quickly prepped the horizontal (the control surfaces already installed) and epoxied it in, then replaced the vertical, all before the 15 min epoxy set. Whew.

I had eariier picked up the Spektrum 8 Channel telemetry reciever at my LHS. I haven't used telemetry before, but it has a built in Reciever Pack Voltage Sensor I think I will need to learn how to use. I think my DX8 is capable of telemety? I guess we'll find out. I also ordered a Pulse 2S 2550 mAh reciever LiPO that I will use with the Aerotech Ultra BEC as both ignition and reciever pack. I think it should allow several long flights.

I am looking at, and expect to try out the Evolution 10cc gas engine. I saw it at my LHS the other day, and its a nice looking engine. Has decent reviews. I noticed its a single needle system, but has an attached pumped carb. Evolution moved away from the muffler pressured tank providing fuel feed. It has the torpedo muffler hanging out there... I am pretty certain I want to give it a shot. It too is a beam mount making for simple installation in an airplane designed, as the Phoenix Spitfire is, for glow. I also bought a 12x8x3 Master Airscrew prop to try on it. I usually fly a 13x8x3 on the 10cc, but wonder if more revs will translate to more thrust? I plan to try both in static thrust comparisons.

I have asked both Phoenix Models and TowerHobbies if the black rubber gasket for the fuel tank is gas safe... In the past I have simply replaced this with one that I know is, but is that necessary?  Not sure how much gas exposure is required to find out?

I read in the TowerHobbies Tech Notes that when using a fuel instead of electric model they suggest epoxying the wings together... I have used packing tape to essentially seal the outside gap, but maybe just epoxying them together is better? I think it will add wing strength? Maybe I will... Maybe I won't...



No comments :

Post a Comment