The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Friday, March 22, 2019

I am so disappointed in myself.



And so is kitty...



In my fist build I recognized that the landing gear sit on their hardpoint rather high so that when retracted over half the width of the gear sticks out into the wind under the wing. In retrospect its not that bad, but for two years as I thought about this build I thought I should try to push them down into the wing by chiseling down the hard point. Seems easy, but I have neither the skill nor the tools. So one night I decided to take a hack at it. I ruined it.



I used a Dremel saw to cut a 3mm layer off the top of the hard point on both sides. It immediately became clear I was going to screw the whole thing up. Saw skips aside there is no way for me to measure nor control the depth.



Yikes this is shoddy work.



But the idea worked. The hard points however were no where near level nor equal.



So I dammed up the sides and poured some runny epoxy in thinking it my level out the irregular surface.



It created more problems... jeez, I was not going to spend all this time on the other wing, and I am sure they would come out lopsided. So I abandoned the idea before I made things irrepairable.



I sanded down the epoxy and glued in plywood to bring the hardpoints back to near as I could their original level.




I used epoxy to fill in the gaps and the saw over runs.



I sanded it all down to as level as I could.



And installed the gear and the plastic gear well. I like and prefer the well. I had wanted to leave a smallmlip all the way around the well, but I have never found a way to cleanly cut rhis plastic, so ended up without a lip. It works. So I have so far it seems escaped my stupidity. We will see if the landing gear are symmetric, and then I will call it a win.

No comments :

Post a Comment