The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Monday, April 8, 2019

All but the powerplant

It sat for a couple of years, but in the last month I have all but completed the Spitfire Redux.


Seen here are the rudder and elevator servos. I have since also installed the throttle servo in the open space there, 



The electronics bay is done, except for the Aero Tech Ultra BEC I ordered this morning.  The fuel tank is just sitting there, unplumbed. I still haven't been able to find out if the black rubber fuel tank stopper that comes with the kit is gas proof. I'd like not to buy another one if it is, but no one seems to  know.  I work tomorrow, but Wed I may run out to the LHS and pick up a Du-Bro gas stopper for the tank.   I have attached the wing so I could set up the reciever, so she looks like a plane.

I think I recall others commenting about how tight the plugs are in Spektrum Recivers these days. These were damn near impossilbe to fit!  It was exhausting trying to force the plug in while not destroying the pins...

I am strongly leaning towards the Evolution 10cc gas enngine, It actually is a dual needle carb, but the needles are on the opposite sides of the carb. It does have a torpedo muffler instead of a Pitts. My LHS has one.... It fits the 44mm on center width of the standard engin mount distance too, so I have already installed the hardpoints. That was nice, not having to customize the firewall and being able to use the pre-installed T-nuts.

I spent the better part of the afternoon trying to get the flaps to match. The servos are just a little off one another. I got them tuned to within 1 degree of each other. I think that's good. I have set the timing to a leisurely 10s full cycle. For some reason the landing gear will not accept a slower than "normal" transition speed. If I set it longer than 0.5s it doesn't respond to the switch. That's fine, its graceful enough.

It will take a few days for the UBEC to get here. And for me to sneak buy the engine...



No comments :

Post a Comment