The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, April 25, 2019

RC Aces: Yeah, it's a marsh, but it's a dry marsh, and the natives are friendly


The weather was wonderful, clear blue skies, and the winds light. I wanted to take advantage of this and headed out to RC Aces in North Hampton. I have been thinking about joining since Gary Hoffman mentioned he now flies out of there. It's a nice field, flat, two runways, and a group that takes very good care of it. Being a bit of a long drive from my house, it's also nice that they have a small solar and power generator charging station. I looked over their website and was pretty impressed, seemed like a nice club to join. Another $75 a year for a membership... need to think about it.



30 miles, about 40 min.



This is on the way back out, but this is the dirt road that accesses the field behind Joe's Meat Shoppe. If you don't know the road is back there you will drive right by it. Gary had said something about it being behind this shop and it stuck in my head. Glad it did as the GPS took me to the wrong side of the field. I drove back remembering what Gary said and found the road. 



I was lucky that Cappy Polito and Mike Larson were there! There is a locked gate and I wouldn't have been able to get to the field. They were just leaving but kindly stayed and showed me around, and let me put the Alpha 450 up. The ground is marshy, and recent rains have made it very mushy wet. Everywhere was marshy wet and muddy, I almost got stuck leaving! They noted that in the summer its much drier and not marshy. I really appreciated their kindness and would be comfortable there. It's clear that this is a very well cared for field, and its flat all around. There are some tall and taller in the season, vegetation nearby, so having to bring down or losing a plane would be an adventure to find it, but I would be able to see it all the way down. It was too windy and the Alpha bobbed all around, so I flew only for a few minutes. Since they had stayed to let me fly, I decided not to fly the Stik, which could likely have handled the winds fine.



Parking viewed from the field.



The solar charging station.



Some of the prep tables.



A view across the field.



View from the parking lot into the field.

I think this is a very nice field, and if Cappy and Mike are any indication the club has a nice friendly membership that takes very good care of their field. If I don't join it will be paying out another fee and having to drive a rather long way. We'll see.

No comments :

Post a Comment