The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Friday, April 22, 2016

Not much happened...



In between rain and under cloudy skies, the winds were calm with breezes from the south, and I had been itching to fly, so I took the two gassers out.

The 10CC decided to be a pain in the ass and didn't like the change from 40-50 degrees with no humidity, to 70 and Mississippi muggy. She would run, but didn't actually run right, bogged down and quit time and again in idle. So I abandoned her, and set up the DLE 30 cc Breitling MXS-R. She ran fine, so I warmed her up and since she hadn't been flown in a couple of months, I ran a half a tank through her, refueled and took her up.

Perfect takeoff, tootled around and realized I was scared to death. I have had such a bad run of luck lately that I had no confidence. A couple of simple loops and I brought her in and landed perfectly, trying not to hyperventilate. I calmed down and put her in the bench. Since I hadn't tuned her up since the cold weather and wondered if she ran a bit under powered (still with unlimited vertical) I de-cowled her and tweaked her a bit. In the middle of that my teenager texted that he was back from Boston and needed to be picked up, so I had to pack up. Next time I take her out I will likely finish tuning her.

I got home and tweaked the 10cc, and she is running better than ever. Noticed that with the cowl on I picked up another 200 rpm.  I am glad RCGF abandoned the pressurized pump and single needle carb as it's a bit touchy and needy. I expect that the new edition with the Walboro style carb  I have on the Spitfire will run fine.

Bummed I didn't get more time to shake off the jitters...

No comments :

Post a Comment