The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Repair of Alpha 450 Broken Wing

As all of us have done, Aidan aborted a takeoff by crashing into a safety fence, putting a pretty nice dent in the leading edge of the Alpha Sport 450. We used some "field cote" (packing tape) to patch the leading edge and kept on flying. Today I took on the repair.



Bent leading edge, wrinkled cote.






Worse under the cote.




Pulled the wood up and CA'd it, then sanded it as smooth as I could. A lot of CA inside.



Spackled the uneven surfaces. Modeling filler is better, but alas, I have none.








I put a piece of packing tape across the repair, then cote over it. I don't have any red or blue cote... used white.  One piece top to the middle of the leading edge, one overlapping, and a third overlapping underneath.






Not my best work, but it came out pretty darn good!



We field named her Jinx, since it really is always something!



No comments :

Post a Comment