The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Monday, June 2, 2014

MX2 Wing Repairs Completed

Finishing out the MX2 I got form Kenny that I will be converting to electric.

Last night I put the cross bars in to provide more flex support beyond the wing tube, and this morning I finished with top with some spackle then coted everything. It came out much better than I had hoped, perfectly true!


On the left a single 4x4mm balsa post between ribs, and to the right the popsicle stick X up against the main rib where the wing tube ends.



Another view.



A little spackle on top of the sheeted wood after repairing the cracked sheet balsa and putting a rectangle of tongue depressor under the sheet (used a push rod attached to a small post I CA'd to the rectangle to get it into place, with 5 Min Epoxy).  Tailored a piece of white cote. Can you tell where the repair is? Remember this wing had been repaired before (as I worked with the cote I can see patches).



I think this was ingenious of me, but I doubt I am the first to do it. I needed to segue a small piece of black cote at the corner. In the photo below you can't see it, but I wanted to continue the curve of the trim cote as I carried the black panel out to the end of the wing. I used a pencil to trace out the existing shape and used it as a template.



The finished wing on the bottom! I didn't continue the checkerboard as I don't have any of that green. You can't tell but the outer edge has the green of the original checkerboard and the white trim curving down, the black intercepts it. I an considering continuing the white trim down the inner side of the wing just for giggles.

Poifect!

No comments :

Post a Comment