The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Holy Mother of Dragons! MX2 Power Tested!

I really have to question HobbyKing's motor ratings. The Turnigy Rotomax 1.40 is rated to 10S for 2775W and 120A HV ESC (I went with 100 A, rethinking that now). Today I power tested her...

This thing is going to rip its wings off if I ever give it full throttle.

It drew a peak of 98 amps making a peak 3720 watts on 10S with a 20x11e APC prop in static power testing. She nearly pulled me off my feet. At half throttle she drew 18 amps and 700 watts. Her all up weight is 12.5 lbs, so about 1250 watts for aerobatic flying using the 100 watts/lbs rule-of-thumb. At full throttle thats about 300 watt/lbs! She is a dragon! I may need to pull back to 8S. Time testing she gave me over 10 minutes, so I stopped and set the timer for 8 minutes.


The aft vent louvers in place.





The baffle that generates the low pressure pull behind it. I have since tightened up the cote.



In situ.



All up!






Fly fearless, my ass... she scares the crap out of me!

CG'd tight, so much as a mm of battery movement fore or aft dramatically shifts her. Marked the best placement. Hoping to maiden her tomorrow!

No comments :

Post a Comment