The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Monday, August 31, 2020

Daddy's got his Mojo back!

Half day, but a good day. Got a few things done.


My iX12 Mojo came back today from Horizon/Spektrum. Fixed the switch for free and the transmitter got a clean bill of health!



Thanks, Chris N from Horizon Hobby!



Tested two packs on the UMX Tundra. No issues!


I was surprised that I never programmed the Eflite Alpha 450 Sport (another wonderful balsa abandoned by Eflite). So I did that today, made a few minor changes to the electronics, and took her to the local park for some flight time. Got 2 packs in before a pickup soccer game showed up. I don't fly over people, so I called it a day. No issues! Everything worked fine.



The 10mm - 1/4 32 adapter came in today too!  I drilled it out to 8.5 mm as the online guide suggested for a 10mm tap, and using some cutting oil and patient technique got a sweet tap.



The adapter and the new threads.



Now this was curious. The adapter is steel, thank goodness, the cylinder head aluminum. The tap was as vertical as I could get it. But every time I tried to thread the tap it would seat on one side, but lift on the other! This wouldn't start until half way screwed in. After several tries and seeing this edge that was lift make its way around the clock hours, and re-tapping it (clean, no change), I used a percussive technique to level it and then completed a nice tight screw in. I also used some JB Weld to seal the threads, and for good measure filled in the gaps of the hex head and the cylinder head. I will let this cure overnight and tomorrow put the whole thing back together, see if it will run.

All good! Tomorrow I will see if the returned 10cc engine will run in the Spitty. Once that's assured, I want to fly a few more times on the iX12, though I confident with it, before maidening the Spitfire. Given my past history with Spitfires I want no doubts.

No comments :

Post a Comment