The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Saturday, August 15, 2020

Rebuilding the 450 Sport

Better than before!  I have had my helis for a long time, last one I bought was the Trex 600 EFL Pro about 6 years ago. When I was building those 450s, the 500s, and the 600s, I was still learning. I did a pretty good job, but have learned a bit since. One of the most important things I have learned is to respect the lack of tolerance the helis have for out of tolerance building and flying. On my 450s I allowed imprecision in the builds that I have since been building out of them. The rebuild of the 450 Sport is no exception. The last rebuild was tight. As I rebuild this time, I am sticking to that. 


We started with a pretzel.






I decided to step up to a quality tail servo, moving away from the Emax one I had. It had a little twitch that made me think about it, and since I am now committed to precision and better affordable parts, especially on a 450, time to toss the Emax. This is the KST DS215. This thing is tiny.



All that is left is installing and programming the new Spektrum AR620 reciever, then rebuilding the flybar cage, which is going to be a project. I decided to go with the glass-fiber reinforced plastic tail assembly because it is tight and well made. It is well up to the  stresses, and has a new belt. If I didn't use it I would have had to take it apart to pull the tail shaft as I don't have another one. The plastic head performed so well, up to the damage it sustained at the crash.

Next the reciever. Will allow me to test the entire mechanical systems without the blades.

No comments :

Post a Comment