The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Sunday, August 16, 2020

The 450's

I have recently fallen in  love with my 450s, traditionally a challenging heli to fly due to their small size. They require skill and patience, and are very intolerant of any deficits in build and piloting. Only recently have I been able to fly them with confidence.



This is my Trex 450 FBL. It has a Tarot XYZ stabilization system that I program using a dongle and FBL Programmer. I crashed her a long time ago, or was having some technical problem. Too long ago I have forgotten. It was blameless and the tail was just the shaft. I want to replace all of the servos including the tail servo, but thats going to have to wait. I replaced it, put a new tail rotor set on it, and changed out the main shaft. I just found out that the cheapo 450 shafts I bought off eBay all test fine, but are not straight. I had one last pack, and the one I pulled is not great either, but its really close. It has a smal vibration only on lower throttle at start up, none in flight speed. I have ordered some new Align shafts.


The naked 450 FB. I don't know which version of the Trex 450 this frame is, but its different than the Sport. 



There is some slop in this flyabar cage I can't fix, whicu is why I abandoned it i  the first place for the tight plastic HK one that flew so well. I am grounding it for the next few weeks waiting for the new ones to come from China (no one is selling them in the US). I hope the shaft that comes with them are true. Once that's done she will be sweet!

So the 450s are grounded for now. Looking forward to having all of my helis flight ready!

No comments :

Post a Comment