The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Monday, August 10, 2020

Finally a good day!

 
Got out to the field today! Blustery cross winds over calm. It took a few landings this time before I stalled her a foot off the ground and broke another prop. No other damange.




The RCGF-USA 35cc runs so frickin' sweet with this 20x8 scimitar prop! She hummed, reacted perfectly, had good vertical, idled perfectly. This is the prop of this engine, no doubt!  Reset the crash clock.



Flew two packs on the Trex 500! First pack was all nerves, hands shaking, sometimes over controlling, but no mistakes! Approached and landed nose in!



Me after that first pack. Thousand mile stare. Took a 15 minute break before the second pack, and it made a great difference! Flew calmly and confidently, put the heli where I wanted it, and enjoyed it. I need to keep flying my helis so it becomes as common to me as flying my planks. 



Flew the Twinstar with the heavily fortified bulkhead, first time since making the repair. The nose gear stood up to the stresses, the main gear still took a beating. I should probably put stronger gear wire on them. Eventually.



The back securing screw was along as the front one and the backwards flexion pushed it into the wing cote. Repaired that after this pic, but had already trimmed the screw. Did this on both sides.



When I got home I took another look at the bearings in the new red swash arm. The installed ones are new design, using 2.5mm bolt, the old was 3mm. I decided that they weren't helping sitting there with the tight bearings that are too small. So I took a mallet and Phillips screw driver and punched one bearing out, the one already damaged by my previous attempts. I had to work the other one out and that took some doing, but I finally got it out without damaging the arm. So I installed it and now have two matching swash followers!  So this will be a problem. Heli Direct confirmed that Align changed the part, and the part number, but discontinued the other part. So when I bend one I will have to pound out the smaller bearinings. All the more reason not to damage them.

No comments :

Post a Comment