The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Friday, July 31, 2020

Exhausting... Trex 500 is back up!

I had given up trying to get the Align 500 4-Blade Head to work. Coulda, but didn't wanna... was just becoming a debacle. So I went back to 2 blade. This meant returning to the 2-Blade head and replacing its swash follower arms. I ordered the same one's I always had, these. They are the same ones I have ordered for this same head in the past. Look at the fine print. The screws that secure it to the head are M2.5. Bothe the 4-Blade and this Tarot 2-Blade head have always used M3. I tried installing them and the screws wouldn't bite... that's when I discovered a problem. I am confident the part did not change specs! I verified that the previous ones were M3, and they are. I had to pull them off the 4-Blade head and install them mismatched ones on the 2-Blade head. I could not get the 2.5mm ID bearings out of the new ones. Jeez... 


The free bearing is from installed swash arm. The one I am holding is the new 2.5mm ID bearing.



This is the existing non-damaged swash arm with the 3mm ID bearing. I pulled it off the 4-Blade head along with its mismatched opposite arm. The plan had to have two matching red arms.



The mismatched swash arms with the M3 bolts securing them in place. I cannot find swash arms for 500 sized helis with M3 bearings. I could and tried to change the M2.5 bearings but I can't get the bearings out of the new arms. This sucks... but it works.

I then found that there is a bad vibration that wanted to shake the aircraft apart. Turns out there is a subtle bend in the main shaft. I then replaced that. She is now balanced, tracking well, and ready to fly again, with her mismatched swash arms. If I bend these I am screwed. Literally.

I was in a bad mood when I started. Imagine how pissy I am now!

No comments :

Post a Comment