The flying monkeys got me...

Helis and fixed wing

AMA 957918
IRCHA 4345
AMA Intro Pilot Instructor

Pirate Kid Skeleton by RadDezigns.

Thursday, July 23, 2020

4 Blade 500 Not So Much



Since I had to change the swash control arms, and the Align 4-Blade Head already had them, I decided to try that head again. I bought heavy duty 600 sized control arms and cut them to fit, and made some mods.



I raised the butt a bit.



And put 600 size tail blades to help with the extra torque. 
Not sure they are needed, but why not. With the 500 tail fin the longer blades were not getting a safe clearance. 



These are wide chord, and clearly MUCH bigger at 93mm than the 500 size, about 78mm.



I put a 600 size tail fin, stiffened with the original 500 tail fin, giving good clearance.

Well, it was always one thing or another, and the blade holders were a tad loose no matter what. It just really wasn't worth it, other than being cool; it doesn't add anything so was becoming a pain in the ass. I know I could make it work, I just kept thinking how much easier it is to just be a two blade. So I ordered a new set of swash control arms today, be here in about a week, put the Tarot 2 blade head back on, and made the tail 500 size again. Waiting for the swash arms, just don't want to take them from the 4-Blade head.



Painted the tail blades white, putting a red strip on them, will balance them and reinstall. Kinda glad to have a flying machine rather than a flying experiment.

No comments :

Post a Comment